Great Pyramid of Giza is the oldest of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. The Great Pyramid of Giza is also known by other names Pyramid of Khufu or the Pyramid of Cheops. It is situated in the Egypt and built as a tomb for the Egyptian pharaoh Khufu.
The interesting thing about this pyramid is that it took 20 years to build and also has three burial chambers inside. It was originally built in 2550 BC and that time it was 147 meters tall but today, due to erosion it’s now 139 meters tall. Here are some information and measurement you may want to know about the Great Pyramid of Giza.
The Great Pyramid of Giza Information
- Great Pyramid of Giza location: Giza, Egypt
- Ancient: Khufu’s
- Built-In: 2580-2560 BC
- Height: 146.7 meters (ancient), 138.8 meters
- Base: 230.34 meters
- Slope: 51°52’±2′
- Volume: 2,583,283 cubic meters
Great Pyramid of Giza Interesting Facts
Now, you know about the Great Pyramid of Giza. So it’s time to know about some interesting facts of Great Pyramid of Giza:
- Great Pyramid of Giza is the oldest of all Seven Wonders of the World. It’s the very beautiful pyramid
- It’s the largest of all three pyramids.
- The Great Pyramid of Giza was built about 2.3 million stone blocks.
- Khufu’s Horizon is the ancient name of the Great Pyramid of Giza.
- The Great Pyramid of Giza once had a swivel door at the entrance. It weighed about 20 tonnes and could easily be pushed open from the inside. On the outside, it was very hard to find because it fit perfectly. There are only two other pyramids known to have had swivel doors. One was Khufu’s father’s pyramid and the other was his grandfather’s pyramid.
- The mortar that was used to build the pyramid cannot be reproduced today. Even though it has been analyzed they still can’t make it. It is stronger than the stone that was used to build the pyramid and is still in place today.
- There has been no writing or hieroglyphics found inside the Great Pyramid of Giza.
- This pyramid is the only one to have been built with concave sides. This means that all four side curve in slightly.
- If we tried to build an exact replica of this pyramid it would not be possible. We do not have the precise technology that the ancient Egyptians had that was necessary to build this pyramid.
- There were three burial chambers inside. One of the chambers was built into the bedrock underground. The queen’s chamber was higher and the king’s chamber was the highest. Khufu didn’t intend to use the queen’s chamber for any of his wives. It is thought that he intended to use it for a statue of himself.